Monday, June 7, 2010

RAUL SANTOS SEIXAS



Raul Seixas, the Brazilian rock's father, was born in Salvador – Bahia in 1945 (the atomic bomb year). Son of an engineer and a housewife, his middle class family was very conservative.
In infancy, “Raulzito” spent a lot of time in his father's library, and created crazy comics to sell to his brother Plinio (four years younger than him). The school didn't teach what he wanted to know, and about that he said: “The school never taught me anything, or better, taught me to hate it”.
He lived near the U.S.A. Consulate, and American boys showed him a different kind of music... the rock'n'roll. After that, he killed classes to go to “Cantinho da Musica” shop to listen to music and go to the cinema watching Elvis Presley's movies. Raulzito and Waldir Serrão (the Big Ben) founded the first Elvis's fan club in Brasil in 1959. Because of these influences, he created a Rock band with some friends (the first rock band in Bahia's history) called “Os Relâmpagos do Rock”. After the name changed to “The Panteras”, and lastly “Raulzito e os Panteras”



Denis Utzig
Express Plus 2




2 comments:

  1. "Não pare na pista" is certainly one of my favorite Brazilian songs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denis, how wonderful !!!
    I must tell you ,whenever I've heard ''Oro de Tolo" I cry!!!
    Lucia

    ps-I like you!!!!

    ReplyDelete