Tuesday, May 11, 2010

World Cup Feelings





Whether you like football or not, there's one thing you've gotta admit: in a month from now the whole world will stop to watch the second most important sports competition in the planet - the Olympic Games will always take the first place. The subject will be brought up everywhere, so get used to it. While you're trying to sleep on the bus, queuing in the supermarket, cashing up some money, watching the news, it doesn't matter: the World Cup will be there, trust me. It has been like that for ages.

I myself love competitions like this. I'm not a sports addict, have never been. I do enjoy football, though. Mostly my beloved Brazilian team, Gremio - if you support "Inter", do not hate me, please! Moreover, the Fifa Cup is not only about the sport itself: it is about bringing people closer. Patriotism is suddenly brought alive. People seem to fall in love with their country - leaving all corruption, poverty and injustice behind - and that feeling of overcoming obstacles every game is spread all over. I do not know if it is a selfish feeling that motivates people, though: we HAVE to be the champions, we have to overcome the others. I don't personally feel like that. I prefer to feel passion, gratitude and nice feelings toward my country.

As much controversial it may sound, I do not LOVE our national team. Never have. Specially this one, Dunga's one. I don't feel connected to the players, they haven't been part of my life. Some of them I do not really know or never heard of. Victor, Gremio's goalkeeper, is not part of this group anymore. I felt a bit upset, I admit it. It is sad to see that no matter how good you are, sometimes things don't depend entirely on us. In Victor's case, Dunga didn't want him, although he has been elected the best in his position for the last two years. Hope Dunga doesn't regret it, that's all. Going back to my feelings toward our National team, I do not think I'll be really enthusiastic about their matches: I'll watch them because it's part of the ritual and, of course, I'm Brazilian and want my team to win - even though I think Argentina deserves the title much more than us. By the way, have you seen Messi playing recently?

Patriotism aside, I reckon this Cup will also be a good chance for people to get to know South Africa a bit better. I have already lived there and strongly recommend any of you to pay them a visit whenever you have the opportunity. It is a lovely country, with breathtaking views and an amusing multicultural people which cannot be found anywhere else. I hope people start viewing things from a different perspective from now on. The idea that Africa - the continent - is an incredibly poor and useless place should be changed for good, hopefully. If most of our culture and our relatives came from there, why can't we pay them a bit of respect and admiration, then? Some food for thought here.

If only I had a crystal ball now, I would be able to know who will the champion be. And also know what repercussions and benefits South Africa will take from this. I don't have super powers, though. I can only make assumptions. I place all my bets in Diego Maradona's team. I'd say Spain might be one of the favorite for the title as well. Brazil? Don't think will go too far. Maybe if it relies on luck, then, my friends, anything can happen. In the meantime, we can support, scream, yell, cry, curse, laugh, argue and hope for the best. The time has come. Have a seat and enjoy the show. And, please, do not forget that there will be an election in October in Brazil. Focus, if you don't lose it, there's no problem in joining the crowd. Good luck, Brazil!



No comments:

Post a Comment