Monday, April 26, 2010

As melhores coisas do mundo

It has been a long time now (Thank God and the sponsors) since Brazilian movies have started to be respected both nationally and around the globe and have also made Hollywood jealous of our talented directors. Pictures like City of God (Cidade de Deus), Central Station (Central do Brasil) and also the blockbuster The Elite Squad (Tropa de Elite) are, to name just a few, samples of what has been making us (even) prouder of being Brazilians.
Last Saturday I decided to reminisce my teen days and watch As melhores coisas do mundo, from Lais Bodanzky, the same director of Chega de Saudade and Bicho de sete cabecas. I usually like her movies, even though - I have to confess - I was apprehensive about this one. I was afraid I would have to face something extremely superficial or Malhação-like. To my (good) surprise, the fabulous director turned an apparently shallow story - which could be considered really similar to those that we've been watching for TEN (10) years in Malhação, I'm afraid - into one that caters for all age groups: from the youngest to the eldest.
While I was queuing waiting to go into the movies, I could see an audience extremely different from what I had expected: a bunch of teens with their families, young couples, children, the traditionally noisy teenagers and also some elders - which made me happy indeed. I had previously thought I was actually bound to watch an "improper" movie for my age group, if you know what I mean. I was wrong, though.
Being a teenager sucks most of the time - sorry for my honesty - but it is certainly part of our development into more experienced human beings. While watching Mano's dilemmas - the main character of the movie - I could see myself some 12 years ago and, believe me, I was relieved by the fact I'm not a teen anymore. Surrounded by so many endless doubts and problems, I don't know how we actually manage to go through such phase of life so (maybe almost) harmlessly. Mano and his friends are really happy, for sure. A bit shallow, I would dare to say. That's part of the process of getting mature, I reckon. You can see them drinking, thinking about sex all the time, smoking, telling jokes, trying to kiss as many girls as they can and - of course - mistreating the ones they judge "different" from them. Mano is a nice boy, don't get me wrong. He's 15. Most of you, readers, have been there before. So we understand every little thing the boy and his clan have to deal with. Sympathy in the best feeling to describe what we feel as the story unveils and takes place in the wild streets of Sao Paulo.
The best of the plot is showing how an apparently happy life can turn upside down when we have to face REAL issues. That's what happens to Mano and his family. From that point on, we see a boy learning how to deal with (in)differences, true and also unreliable friends, love, sex, disappointments and the value of having a nice family around. Telling you more than this would spoil the whole thing. I can assure you you'll enjoy the movie. You'll remember your adolescent moments and laugh/cry/curse/feel sorry as the movie goes on...
I have to admit I fell in love with the main character, Mano. Both character and actor are incredible. If I were 15, I guess I'd like to have a boyfriend exactly like him. He's nice, polite and also loves music. Pay attention to his devotion to music and his attempts of playing the guitar - it's really cute. And if you love The Beatles as much as I do, well, anyway, watch the movie... I'm sure you'll understand me. You might shed some tears, perhaps, as I did.
There are also many good actors such as Denise Fraga, who plays the main character's mother, Caio Blat, as the Physics teacher, Paulo Vilhena, as the guitar instructor and the newest teen sensation, Fiuk (Fabio Jr's son and also a sight for very sore eyes). Francisco Miguez, who plays Mano, and Gabriela Rocha, who plays Carol, are, undoubtedly, the best feature of the movie.
Whether you like teen stories or not, this picture has a lot to give. It is about life itself and how growing up can be - sometimes - hard and painful. The greatest thing is to know that, somehow, life always seems to find the best way to work things out. As the main character himself states “It's not impossible to be happy after you grow up. It's just more complicated". If you do not agree, cast the first stone.

Cheers,

Teacher Hell

(now I have a "moving name" as well as Carlos, my dearest ExMaster 4 student (and neighbour) who has taught me how to do this technological stuff, hahaha)

6 comments:

  1. It was refreshing to see a big budget Brazilian film that is not about the life in the favelas, and director Laís Bodansky (daughter of Jorge Bodansky, director of Iracema - Uma Transa Amazônica, a classic) perfectly captures the lifestyle of upper middle class teens in São Paulo. Also, I loved the fact that none of the main characters were played by professional actors, as it was basically teens playing themselves, which, in fact, adds a sense of realism to the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teacher!!!! What a text! I haven't watched this film YET. You tottally put me into it, I wish I had time to go during the week. I'll wait, but I'll definetely go.
    By the way, it was the first time I heard about this film. This blog not only is making us interact outside class, but it's also useful as a source of information.
    Great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last weekend I watched "As melhores coisas" too and I loved it, specially Mano and Carol !
    It's a funny, lovely and sensitive movie!
    After leaving the cinema,I remembered "Verdes Anos" from Carlos Gerbase,a great movie about teenagers too.

    Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo, I loved this movied as well, Carol is the best, I am looking forward for the DVD. And Hell, the signature worked \o/

    Carlos

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks to you, my name is very hightech! uhu!

    ReplyDelete